Facebook has always been known to stay a step ahead of the latest trends in both technology and social media engagement, and with its latest feature, Facebook Live, it doesn’t disappoint. If you’re not yet familiar, this new feature allows people and businesses alike to share real-time updates via live video feed. This can be a powerful and highly effective tool for connecting with your customers and prospects on a more personal level, essentially humanizing your brand. Want to know more? Here are the basics.
How does Facebook Live work?
By tapping the “Live Stream” icon, you can broadcast to your followers live, right from your computer or smartphone. Once the live stream is over, simply click “finish,” and the video will remain on your timeline where it can be replayed and viewed at any time. Currently, the allotted time for a Facebook Live session is capped at 30 minutes, but that may change at some point, based on use and demand.
What’s the point?
Ok, so now that you know what Facebook Live is, you’re probably wondering how you can use it for your business. There are literally dozens of different ways you can leverage live-streaming as part of your overall marketing strategy. For instance, you might broadcast a live announcement about a new product or service, host an online seminar or even hold a live Q&A session for your customers or prospects. People simply type their questions or responses into the comment field and you can read and answer them in real-time.
How can I get the most out of Facebook Live?
As with any other social media activity, the goal is to optimize your time and maximize results. To achieve this goal, there are a number of best practices and recommendations to keep in mind, as follows:
- Verify your connection. First and foremost, you can’t deliver a good live video experience if your internet connection isn’t up to par. Prior to broadcasting, double check the connection, speed and reliability of your WiFi. This will reduce the chances of running into any technical issues during your stream.
- Make it worth their while. Nobody is going to bother tuning in to your live broadcasts unless they feel they will receive some value out of doing so. Make sure you’re offering quality, relevant live stream experiences that cater to your audience’s needs/desires.
- Spread the word. The goal is to get as much exposure as possible for your live videos, so be sure to plan ahead and spend enough time getting the word out about your upcoming broadcasts. The more legwork you put in upfront, the more likely you’ll be to have a successful turnout.
- Write a killer description. Just like the subject lines of your email newsletters and the titles of your blog posts, the description of your live broadcast should be powerful and captivating enough to catch your audience’s attention and entice them to watch.
- Make it interactive. During your live streams, let your viewers know you appreciate the time they’ve taken to spend watching your broadcast. For smaller groups, you might even be able to welcome each one by name. As your viewership increases, choose a select few comments and questions to respond to throughout the broadcast.
Facebook has long been an incredibly effective tool for small businesses to be able to reach the right prospects at the right time and in the right place to increase their chance of conversion. This latest feature will further boost these results, allowing forward-thinking companies (like yours) to stay a step ahead of the competition and connect with customers and prospects on a more personal level.
Want more tips, tricks and guidance on how to leverage Facebook to power your business to the next level, give us a call today. We’d be happy to help!